A Wonderful Unexpected Christmas Gift

My wife Mary and I are an interracial couple.  Over 40 years ago, Mary’s dad and stepmother who raised her accepted their daughter marrying a black guy.  Mary’s birth mother did not.  She refused to meet me.

Around Thanksgiving, Mary received an amazing letter from her birth mother expressing how sorry she was and how much she wanted to meet her son-in-law.  Every year, we drive from West Virginia to Baltimore for my family’s Christmas Eve gathering.  Mary called her birth mother and set up a time for us to visit while we were in Baltimore.

Mary’s birth mother excitedly greeted us with hugs.  She had dinner prepared.  The gathering included Mary’s half-sister, her brother, and their spouses.  Mary’s birth mother’s grandson and his wife were there also.

Mary’s birth mother asked me to say grace before we ate.  I said I was a bit shy and would rather she say the prayer.

As she prayed, she wept, thanking God for bringing her family together.  Spontaneously, I reached out with one hand and grabbed her hand.  With my other hand, I grabbed Mary’s hand.  It was an awesome, heartfelt moment orchestrated by the Holy Spirit.

Over the course of the evening, we all laughed a lot, got to know each other, and viewed family pictures.  I learned that Mary’s half-brother and his wife are conservatives who have been following my Christian conservative political activist work for years on the internet.  Mary’s birth mother is a born-again Christian.

The evening was wonderful.  Mary and I left feeling extremely blessed and grateful.  God had gifted us new family.

Lloyd Marcus, The Unhyphenated American
Help Lloyd spread the Truth: http://bit.ly/2kZqmUk

8 comments for “A Wonderful Unexpected Christmas Gift

1. Connie Zimmermann
    December 26, 2018 at 10:24 pm

Such a beautiful Christmas gift. If any two people deserve this kind of happiness, it’s you and Mary. Merry Christmas and best wishes for a safe and wonderful New Year. (I’m thinking that your Dad was smiling down on your evening as well.)

2. Judy Horvath
    December 26, 2018 at 10:51 pm

What a wonderful Christmas gift–for all of you!

3. CHRISTIE WAGNER
    December 27, 2018 at 12:28 am

I’m so very glad this reconciliation happened. It’s amazing how long it takes for something like this to happen. Sometimes we give up and think such a thing will never happen and then it does. What a surprising blessing. It takes a good person, like your mother-in-law, to realize and admit she was wrong about such an important thing. Most people never admit it. You have certainly enriched your mother-in-law’s life. And it must be a welcome feeling to finally be accepted by her. A beautiful, wonderful Christmas present indeed. You richly deserve it, Lloyd. And it must be so comforting for Mary, too.

4. b.a. freeman
    December 27, 2018 at 12:44 am

thank U *so much* for the encouraging words! it brought unexpected tears to my eyes to read of the way His love touched U and your family. the Lord is always loving, and His blessings often overwhelm us when we least expect them. your article was quite short, but it nailed me to my chair with awe for His boundless love. May U and yours experience many more such blessings!

5. Mary Killian
    December 27, 2018 at 12:50 am

So very happy for you all! God bless you and have a Wonderful New Year!

Oh…and thank you for the big smile you have brought to my face…I think it’s going to last quite a while!

6. Jody Koegler
    December 27, 2018 at 2:53 am

What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing. May you and your whole family have a joyful New Year!

7. Elaine
    December 28, 2018 at 1:36 am

I’m so happy for you. Everyone’s life in the family will be enriched.

8. Toni Anne Reagan
    January 2, 2019 at 9:20 pm

Wonderful to hear of such a Christmas miracle change of heart. I am happy for you, because I had one too. Let me just say, that my children learned that love does not have to be “either or”; but can be “and also”, instead. And for that I am very happy, because they no longer have to be torn apart inside. I have prayed for that, for a long time.