Celebrating Our 41st Wedding Anniversary

I did not realize it at the time that 46 years ago God gave me an incredible gift. He gave me Mary. My marriage was on the rocks. We were living in Edgewater apartments in Essex, Maryland. On my way to the parking lot, a cute blonde hippie neighbor asked my help. She had locked herself out of her apartment and asked it I could climb through her window and open the door. I could have been offended that this white girl assumed me, a black guy, knew how to break into her apartment. As I said, she was cute.

After I broke into her apartment, Mary and I laughed and talked for 4 hours; something I had never done with my wife. When my wife took our daughter and moved out, Mary moved in with me. I came home one day and found Mary weeping in our bedroom. Mary said she had a vision of us being together for a very long time. I thought, this relationship is just a rest stop.

After living together for 5 years, I became a born-again Christian. We stopped sharing a bedroom.

To no avail, I met with my wife to try to reconcile. Mary committed her life to Christ. My aunt, the late Rev Anita Bethea married Mary and me in a park. Her ceremony was so passionate that guests said Rev Bethea “nailed” Mary and me together. Both our families were not keen on our marriage. My Aunt Shirley and her three daughters attended. My brother Jerry was to be my best man, but got lost. I asked a guest to serve as my best man. Jerry arrived after the ceremony.

Right before our wedding, I had landed the role of Judas in a regional production of the rock-opera “Jesus Christ Superstar”. The cast attended our wedding. Among the cast members was John Kassir who became the voice of the Crypt Keeper in HBO’s Tales from the Crypt franchise. Guests paid $1 a carload to enter the park and brought covered dishes. After the ceremony, we swam and played football, “The Bridal Bowl”.

Interracial relationships were not accepted in the 1970s.

Strolling in Baltimore’s Fells Point neighborhood, a carload of white guys chased Mary and me into a bar. In Glen Burnie, Maryland, a carload of white guys, chased our car. It took fancy high speed driving on my part to escape them.

When stopped at a traffic light in Baltimore City, a white guy exited his car. He cussed us out and threw his chewing gum at us. We laughed.

We tried to rent an apartment. The black maid told the white landlord not to rent to us because a black man who dates a white woman is no good. The landlord ignored her.

Mary and I were seated in a Baltimore county family restaurant when a white patron approached our table, broke a beer bottle over my head and ran out the restaurant. He was later prosecuted.

But most of all, Mary has been my greatest supporter, lover and friend; truly, an awesome gift from God. I recently re-recorded this song I wrote to Mary over 20 years ago. On our July 23rd, 41st wedding anniversary, the lyrics are even more true today. My love song is titled, “When I Look in Your Eyes”.

Here’s the link to view the “When I Look in Your Eyes” lyric music video: Please enjoy.

Lloyd Marcus, The Unhyphenated American

Help Lloyd Spread the Truth: bit.ly/2kZqmUk

17 comments for “Celebrating Our 41st Wedding Anniversary

1. Rocky Stacy
    July 22, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Happy Anniversary Lloyd and Mary. God’s continued blessings.

2. Linda
    July 22, 2018 at 4:27 pm

Happy Anniversary! May God bless you both with many happy years together.

3. Ginny
    July 22, 2018 at 5:19 pm

Happy anniversary! It’s been a tough road for you two but you have overcome and are blessed for it. 💗

4. CHRISTIE WAGNER-STARLEY
    July 22, 2018 at 6:58 pm

The story of how the two of you met is really cute and unusual. When you think of how the two of you might never have met. If she had happened along a few minutes later. If you had already left the parking lot a few minutes sooner. Did you ever study the poem, “Evangeline”, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in early grade school? I did. Evangeline and a young man were deeply in love and somehow, I don’t remember why, they got separated. They went looking for each other in a boat. Evangeline got tired of rowing and lay down and fell asleep in the rushes which hid her. Her beloved came by looking for her in his row boat and never saw her. That had such a deep impact on me to this day and it usually makes me cry when I even think of “Evangeline”. Life is so full of near-misses like that. I’m so glad the two of you connected.

And it’s so rare to find true interracial love because so many people, especially white women who enter one are “making a statement” as to how avant-garde and trendy they are or how rebellious they are or “Hey, look at me! I’m creating a sensation!” On the other hand, a lot of black fellows–the racist kind–are using their capture of a white woman as a trophy or as a way of demeaning her and exacting revenge on the white race.

But even when both people are of the same race and philosophy and demographics, precious few last as long as the two of you. It’s such a pity that people go into marriage with the thought–and many have expressed this to me–that “Well, if it doesn’t work out, I’ll just get divorced.” MORONS!!! With an attitude like that of course it will never last.

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary. I just love to see true love.

• July 23, 2018 at 6:56 am

Hi Christie,
      Your comment about people dating outside of their race for rebellious reasons is spot on target. Early in our relationship, Mary and I were approached to join a club/support group for interracial couples. We picked up the vibes that these people were angry at their races. They wanted to fight anyone in public who gave them a second look. Mary and I were not offended by people looking at us because interracial dating was a bit usual. We never lacked friends of both races and saw no need to join the crazy angry interracial club. We dated because we were soul-mates, not out of anger or bitterness against one.
      Thanks for your insightful feedback.
      God bless, Lloyd

• July 23, 2018 at 8:22 pm

Thank you for such thoughtful, intelligent observations. It was a delight to read your thoughts. … And Mary and Lloyd. Love you both. As I said before, “How lucky am I? Just think, the two of you are what I got out of my first marriage.”. Congratulations

5. Camille
    July 23, 2018 at 6:55 am

You know how much Bobert and I love you two.Happy Anniversary♡♡♡

• July 23, 2018 at 6:57 am

Oh, yes we do. As much as we love you guys!
      God bless, Lloyd and Mary

6. Darla Dawald
    July 23, 2018 at 8:19 am

Beautiful story about two beautiful people I love and miss! It’s amazing how God orchestrates everything and brought you two together! What’s really great is that your latter is so much sweeter than your beginning! That’s just God!

God bless you two and may He bring you many more year if marital bliss! Love you guys!

Happy Anniversary!!

7. Nancy
    July 23, 2018 at 9:12 am

What a beautiful story. Happy anniversary and may God continue to bless you.

8. Aunt Shirley
    July 23, 2018 at 12:43 pm

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary Peanut and Mary! May God bless you with many more years of Life, Love and Laughter! … And the two shall become one!

9. Candy Gilman
    July 23, 2018 at 1:06 pm

I just listened to your Love song to Mary, tears came to my eyes. Your heart has always been open to the world, the part that is good. You and Mary have been in my heart from the first time we met. You standing on a box with a mike singing like a bird, God Bless America, while we were having a rally….then you showed up for so many rally’s. I think I have a copy of all of your CD’s and play them for our meetings now and then, always at my Christmas and pool parties ( Fund Raiser). Well age is creeping up on me but I have to keep fighting. Miss you two so much. You know you have a place to stay when you want to come home or a visit. God is with you…..Always

10. Rushncap2
    July 24, 2018 at 12:05 pm

Congratulations on finding a woman dumb enough to waste her life on you. You’re truly a lucky man.

• August 10, 2018 at 12:22 am

Amen brother. I agree. Lloyd

11. July 24, 2018 at 6:16 pm

I’ve admired your articles in American Thinker for a while, but I knew nothing of your personal life, Marcus. I am sorta the opposite of you – an old white woman from that po’ ol’ state of Mississippi – racist, stupid, etc. At least, that seems like “our brand” to many. It is unfair and untrue as a whole. But, you know all about “unfair,” from a different perspective. I love the way you and Mary had the grace to just laugh at the do-dos who “disapproved.” Your lovely song made me cry, of course. I am glad I discovered more about you, Marcus. I salute you and darling Mary as partners and lovers in life. I thank God for you all as my brother and sister in Christ, especially.

12. July 24, 2018 at 6:21 pm

Sorry about the goof up using your name wrong. I know you are Lloyd Marcus. Oooops!

13. Jean walsh
    July 31, 2018 at 8:57 am

Congratulations to you,
    I wish you both a long happy life together. God bless you.