My Black Dad and Chick-fil-A

I jump on every opportunity to respectfully challenge my 84 year old black dad’s loyalty to Obama. Dad has been a Christian pastor over 50 years. He lives in Maryland and I live in Florida. I called Dad to ask if he participated in Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day. He said, no he had not heard about it. Then, he added, “All I know is Chick-fil-A discriminates against gays.”

Folks, I was outraged. Struggling to keep my composure, I passionately said, “Dad, that is a lie! You have got to stop getting your news from the mainstream media!”

I went on to explain to my dad what the protest and appreciation day were really about. Dad was shocked. He does not support same-sex marriage. Dad was pretty grossed out when I told him that in retaliation homosexuals have planned a “kiss-in” at Chick-fil-A restaurants. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57480716/chicago-chick-fil-a-protesters-plan-kiss-in/

I also took the occasion to inform Dad that black pastors across America have organized to protest Obama’s support of same-sex marriage. Again, Dad knew nothing about the black pastor’s protest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8lxnz2qMbM8

At my local Chick-fil-A restaurant, Mavis and I were the only blacks there in support of the protest, amongst hundreds of white Christians and Tea Party patriots.

So what is going on? Why is the truth not getting to a majority of black Americans? I fault a majority of black media outlets and the mainstream media.

For the most part, conservative talk radio is a white thing. Even black conservative radio talk show hosts have a mostly white following.

How do we get the truth to black America? Since I am writing about this problem, one might assume I have a solution. Well, I do not, and it frustrates me.

My conversation with Dad was yesterday. He called me at 9AM this morning. “Why haven’t I heard about what Christians were doing in support of Chick-fil-A?” I told Dad the reason is because the mainstream media, where he gets his news, is in the pocket of the socialists/progressives who embrace same-sex marriage. The mainstream media (CNN, ABC, CBS, and NBC) gave the phenomenon minimal coverage.

Dad was surprised to learn that all who oppose same-sex marriage are branded bigots and haters by his beloved Democratic Party and the mainstream media. Dad said he does not hate or judge anyone. However, the Bible says homosexuality is wrong. He must stand on the Word of God.

Patriots, my excitement was overwhelming. For years I have been waiting for the correct moment and approach to “respectfully” tell Dad that his blind loyalty to Obama and the Democrats contradicts everything he has stood for and taught me. The moment was miraculously here. Dad was on the phone, asking questions and listening.

My mind was racing, “OK! OK! How can I give him a history lesson and Conservatism vs Liberalism 101 in as few words as possible?” I thought, “Calm down and take it slow.” We talked for an hour.

Dad did not know that not only did Obama say that he supports same-sex marriage, but he vowed to be an advocate of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender communities. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiRllRPiij8 Dad told me to send him the link, which is pretty amazing, considering I have not been successful getting dad to check his email.

Dad was unaware that the Democratic Party is considering making same-sex marriage a part of its platform. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/31/us/politics/democrats-draft-gay-marriage-platform.html

I explained to Dad that the mainstream media spins the truth and, in many cases, lies to support its socialist/progressive anti-Christian anti-God agenda.

For example: Dad heard from his media sources that Republicans, Christians, and Conservatives are trying to ban contraception for women. Yes, Dad was familiar with the reported “War on Women”.

I told Dad no one is trying to stop women from obtaining birth control. Contraception is cheap – available at Walmart for five bucks. I explained that under Obama Care, Christian institutions and Christians will be forced to fund contraception and abortion services against their will and their faith. Again, Dad was shocked. Dad said he does not want to fund such services.

My 84 year old dad joined the Democratic Party in his youth, believing it to be for the hard working little guy. I informed Dad that that Democratic Party no longer exists. In short, spoiled-brat old hippies run the Democratic Party today.

A majority of the Democratic Party leadership are far-left liberals who hate America and believe that man can fix every problem. God is an imaginary being clung to by ignorant, bitter, and racist middle Americans. These Democrats believe they are intellectually superior – and thus far better-qualified to manage our lives. This is why the Democratic Party seeks ever-expanding governmental controls over our behavior. Outrageously, death panels in Obama Care even give government power to decide who lives and who dies.

In response to the socialists/progressives’ disbelief in God, Dad, a preacher over 50 years, said, “Your house had a builder. I did not see him. Nor do I know him. But I know he exists. Man also had a builder.”

Dad ended our conservation with “I’m going to Chick-fil-A today to spend some money.”

Lloyd Marcus, Proud Unhyphenated American
Chairman: CampaignToDefeatObama.com
LloydMarcus.com

Conservative Blogs

11 comments for “My Black Dad and Chick-fil-A

1. John C. Bossolt
    August 5, 2012 at 5:50 am

Lloyd is an American treasure whose articles I have been reading on American Thinker for quite a while. My Dad and Mom, God rest their souls, sounds a lot like Lloyd’s Dad. Born and raised in unquestioning Democrat families, my folks passed their prejudices on to me: Democrats for the “working man” and Republicans for “big business.” As though it were true and as if Big Business were demonic.

And so it was, this ridiculous dichotomy, for decades…until I listened to Rush one day at the bidding of a friend. I have never looked back, except to reflect on the tenacity of the leftist brainwashing that plagues this country. The elder Marcus is a victim of propaganda, just like so many millions of us, a good man who simply, as President Reagan said, “…knows so much that is not true.”

2. August 5, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Just found you today, linked through Trevor Louden, who was mentioned on Facebook as quoting your post. Wow, kinda convoluted.

At any rate – well written, concise, and a wonderful piece of good news – and I am happy for your father, having his eyes opened to what he has been blindly following.

I look forward to reading you on a regular basis. I have taken the liberty of quoting you in my post for today.

3. August 5, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Your father sounds like a wonderful man. I hope he continues to want to learn more about the real truth of the democratic party. It’s amazingly sad that there are so many people out there that do not even realize they are only getting left-slanted “news”. Great story.

4. August 6, 2012 at 11:13 am

Very thoughtful post, Lloyd. I find it extremely disconcerting that 96% of black Americans voted for Obama; that speaks to far more than a simple misinformation/spin campaign by the Liberal Media (by the way, I don’t care for the moniker “mainstream media” because it makes Conservative or even unbiased outlets look like “fringe media”). There’s a huge cultural bent toward the Democratic party among black Americans that starts in the home and is perpetuated through many schools, black churches, activist groups, neighborhoods, etc.

No demographic should be 96% in the bag for a candidate. That can’t be explained by pointing to the Liberal Media, since they influence far more demographics than simply black Americans; so, were it the cause, we would see several other demographics breaking the 90% mark for Obama in 2008 (young white voters, for instance, went 54% for Obama; still a decisive majority, but hardly the shut out 96% that black voters gave him).

I also find it highly ironic that black Americans overwhelmingly vote Democrat when the Republican party was essentially formed to end slavery, and one of the largest KKK meeting was at a Democrat National Convention in 1924. I won’t even mention the Democrats trying to block the 14th Amendment or filibustering the Civil Rights Act of 1960 and 1964 (oh, wait, I just did). Baffling.

5. Jackie
    August 7, 2012 at 12:34 am

Lloyd, I have been following you for some time now and truly enjoy your postings.
    Your Dad sounds like a wonderful man. I hope your Dad continues to discover the truth. When he does, I know he will be sickened by how he and others have been misled by the Democratic party.
    I would love to be able to attend a Tea Party gathering and meet you and Sarah Palin…someday.
    May God bless you for your efforts to enlighten others.
    Keeping you and other Tea Party patriots in my prayers.

6. August 8, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Lloyd, you speak for me and a lot of conservatives out here who want GOD back in our country. Keep up the battle.

7. Sandy Zerkel
    August 9, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Lloyd, what a fantastic story. God bless your Dad and you. We must get Obama out! Thank you for all you do. Love going to your page and reading what you write.

8. Kyle
    August 9, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Wow. Republicans, Christians, and the LGBT community are being absolutely CHILDISH.

Chick-Fil-A COO Dan Cathy is a tacky asshat, sure, but he did exercise his American right to publicly speak his mind on the same-sex marriage issue. But that’s not the problem here, it’s how the right wing and LGBT reacted to this that shows the ridiculousness of this situation. The Kiss-In, in the eyes of a LGBT supporter like myself, was stupid. Absolutely stupid. It didn’t prove anything, it was basically them sticking their tongue out saying “nahh nahh nahh nahhhh”. And as for the Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day, you right wingers all ought to be ashamed. You ran out as soon as you could to go buy fried chicken sandwiches to “fight the evil immoral gays” who just want their civil unions recognized. Well guess what, Chick-Fil-A made more money in a few days than they did in their first quarter. Did you change anything? Hell no, except you made Dan Cathy more rich, and he went to the bank with your hard earned dollars laughing at you all. A defeat for both sides.

Both side are being childish, grow the hell up.

9. Justasoutherngirl
    August 9, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Lloyd, I agree with you, the arrogant Democrats think they know what is best for us as we are stupid. I believe there is much money to be made and dispersed as they wish by keeping the blacks poor and uninformed. Some of the big shots would be out of a job if they allowed them to think for themselves even though they are quite capable of doing so. I didn’t see Jesse Jackson orAl Sharpton
    opening their doors to any of the victims of Katrina but they certainly put in their appearances. Jesse ran for the helicopter when the folks swarmed him in his Armani suit.
    Thanks for a wonderful story, my Dad is 84 and he has always said,’ Don’t discuss politics or religion if you want to keep your friends.’ I think it’s time we all had deep, frank discussions about our situation in this country. We take our freedoms for granted. You have a wonderful way with words, please keep writing.

10. August 17, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Praise God Lloyd! I have very close friends who are doing the same thing. I am also very frustrated because they will answer with “I suppose it depends on who you are listening too!” Even many Christians don’t get what is happening here. I applaud your insight, your love of Christ, and you courage to stand with Him. I know that God is still in charge and that He will raise up great men like yourself to spread His word. You made my day.